Popular Posts

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The case of Private Pancake = caterpillar feeding on grass...

Recently I have been showing translucent green caterpillars feeding on eucalyptus leaves; but I have also spotted a different green larva feeding simply on grass leaves. I have observed that not only it feeds on grass but it also hides in the blades of grass, by which I mean it rolls itself into a single blade of grass (rolled lengthwise around his body). One can see some white silk thread that he used as a "glue" for rolling/wrapping the blade of grass around his body (click on photo to see details). I decided to call him Private Pancake because he reminds me of soldiers dressed in green uniforms (the grass) and a simple elongated shape of the rolled pancake...
How about edible uniforms for soldiers, inspired by this guy?...

No comments:

Post a Comment