Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

classic Australian icon

(No, not Don Bradman...)
Yes, I am talking about our iconic Bogong moth. They migrate south in spring to survive hot Australian summer in the crevices and caves of high mountains. I have seen several of them recently in Canberra, in my garden, on sidewalks, under my main entrance door, etc. They are looking for dark and cool crevices to help them preserve their moisture. I did not dare to try to eat one (they are edible), partially for fear of arsenic content, it was reported in the past that for some unknown reason some of them at least contain poison, and partially because I have no confidence in my insect cooking skills. Apparently the way to cook them is first chill them in the freezer (that should kill them with minimal or no pain; insects are cold blooded of course) and then use just flame of one match to cook one moth. Dewing and de-leg and "enjoy", hi, hi... Fat content nearly 40%...
There was a cafe in Manuka serving fritatas made out of Bogong moths (and other interesting bushtacker items). It existed a few years ago, this year I wanted to go and try their Bogong moths but could not find that cafe in the Yellow Pages anymore, looks like the menu was too exotic, not enough customers perhaps, what a pity...

No comments:

Post a Comment