Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Second seductress

In my very first post on this blog I have shown so called Pink Bellied Moth (Oenochroma vinaria). It is fairly common in native gardens as the caterpillars feed on hakeas, grevilleas and other Proteaceas. Last winter I have found in total 4 pupae on the edges of the concrete path in my front garden, under the loose leaves. Here is how they looked like (one pupa shell is empty, after the moth has emerged and the other shell still full):
Yesterday last of the moths from the found pupae has emerged. They always emerge at night or early morning perhaps, I have never witness the process. What has emerged was a female moth again, I think. 
Below are her photos taken yesterday, the blue flower in the background is an iris. And why do I think it is a female again and why do I call her "Second Seductress"? Well, because of her behavior, she is "calling" male moths by extending out her pheromone gland at the end of abdomen (click on the last photo to see it better). Chemical seduction. I let her escape last evening into the darkness of my garden, I hope it is not too cold at night, and I do hope she will find a mate and will produce eggs for next generations of pink bellied moths to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment